Monday, November 1, 2010

It's NOVEMBER?

So a week ago I emailed and asked about my medical kit. I posted that I had gotten a response from the general medical place, since my lady was out of town. Last Wednesday I got another response from my medical review assistant saying that my packet had been received, that it might take EIGHT TO TWELVE weeks, and she gave me the name of my review nurse. HMMMMM. No contact information, but a name is something to start with. I just emailed her again, just to say thanks for getting back to me last week, do you know if my things have been sent on, oh and can I have an email or something for this woman who supposedly has my stuff? Thanks :) Because even at the optimistic end of that time frame she gave me, eight weeks from now is the end of December. (Whoa that is soon.) I'm not feeling particularly RAS-y or urgent, I would really just rather gently prod things along from the get go than get eight weeks out and panic and start to call people psychotically. **Edit** I got an email back, word for word the same email I got last week. Guess that's my sign to chill the eff out.

I have a container of buttermilk in my fridge because I made fried green tomatoes last night, a la Paula Deen, who called for buttermilk. I'd never made them dredged in buttermilk and flour - before I coated them in regular milk and breadcrumbs, but these were fantastic. I need to come up with a recipe to use up the rest of the buttermilk. Any suggestions?



Yes I know some of these are red, but apparently a green tomato is a specific breed (?) of tomato that is still a green tomato even when it's ripe. They are much much firmer than your typical tomato. After slicing them, I laid them in a colander, salted them, and then left them for thirty minutes to draw all the water out. After that, they were dipped in buttermilk, dredged in a flour/black pepper mixture, and then fried in vegetable oil until browned. I laid them on paper towels to blot the oil a bit, salted and peppered them again. They were scrumptious.

I also made hot apple cider, spiked with spiced rum. Delicious. I'm fighting the urge to finish off the rest of it right now, seeing as how it's only two thirty in the afternoon and drinking this early probably isn't the most responsible thing I can do. My phone is ringing right now, but I have stopped answering it because the only people who have been calling during the last week or so have been recordings of politicians and their family members, asking me to vote in the upcoming election. I can't wait until Tuesday and this is all done with.

Something interesting I've noticed in PC blogs is the amount of people who are more-than-a-little-bit interested in photography. It seems like every other one I read, someone is wondering about taking their DSLR, posting pictures, talking about taking pictures, etc. It's like one more facet of my life makes sense and fits into this puzzle that I'm so happy to be a part of. It makes me want to go and shoot everything and get way better at this.

10 comments:

Not that Girl said...

"I would really just rather gently prod things along from the get go than get eight weeks out and panic and start to call people psychotically."

Oh really? Is that directed at someone in particular?

Bahaha. I was just kidding. Really tickled me when I read it though.

elizabeth said...

hahahaha no, not at all! i promise! It wasn't directed at anyone, but reading blogs DOES give me the benefit of hindsight :) Have you heard anything new?

Not that Girl said...

Uggh. No. Waiting patiently.

Sort of.

RENEE! said...

buttermilk pancakes!! Paula Deen knows her stuff, I've seen her fry green tomatoes before. Yummmmm.

Christina said...

I got the obscene possible time quote too and freaked out. It was a whole lot shorter than that though. PC is pretty mysterious...

Kate said...

Well, I don't know if you like dill but you can use buttermilk to make a delicious dill dressing for salad!

Kimberley Rose said...

I vote buttermilk pancakes. You probably cannot go wrong considering it has the word in the name :)

I noticed the same photographer thing too while reading blogs. Hopefully where ever I go will have someone else into it so we can go on photo adventures during PST!

Tija Leigh said...

First of all, now I want spiked apple cider! It's a perfect fall day in Washington and I can't think of anything better! Good work on that one! Second, I went through the same run-around with medical a few weeks ago. According to the last email, I should be finding something out some time this week. Fingers crossed! If I don't hear anything then I'm sure I will start to panic and call people psychotically too! :) And finally, thanks for following my blog! I have some catching up to do reading yours! I'm sure this is the beginning of a beautiful Peace Corps friendship! :)

Jessica said...

hahaha I just read your comment on Kim's blog mentioning "Jessica who-used-to-be-going-to-Lesotho-and-is-now-going-to-Zambia" and I thought that was hilarious :-) By the way, you should definitely go to the UF Globe Talk tonight and meet Amy!

Jessica said...

Awesome Elizabeth! I'm glad you got to meet her! She is so genuinely interested and passionate about everyone and everything PC related :-) I'll let you know the next time I am coming up to Gainesville and we will have to get together!