Wednesday, January 5, 2011

five weeks!

Five weeks from tonight I will be sleeping in a hotel room somewhere, rooming with someone I just met, getting ready to fly to Kampala. That means that in five weeks and two days, I will be IN Kampala :D Craziness. (Note: i have made about an inch worth of progress on that whole cleaning out thing I started on Sunday. Ugh.)

I would like to thank Nora, Sarena, and Lindsay so far, for contributing massive amounts of music to my Fill-Liz's-iPod Challenge PC2K11. I have NO idea what I got from you ladies, but I know that someday when I'm listening to stuff while cleaning my hut or washing my undies by hand or something else interesting like that, I'll hear a completely random song, check to see what it is, and smile while I think of my friends who are working to expand my musical IQ.

Also I am so stoked to see so many 365 projects going up! I tried to start one in September and sucked at it. I forget how far I made it, but it wasn't even a month I don't think. Maybe I'll try again.

On the packing front, my sleeping bag is set to arrive tomorrow, and you better bet on the fact that I will be sleeping in it! I also purchased 4 luggage locks from LL Bean, because I had a gift card from there for a small enough amount that it needed to spent on something random, like luggage locks. Lastly I am pretty sure I've settled on the Osprey Ariel 65 pack, but when I went to purchase it with the pro discount I was told that it expired on the 31st (which sucks considering I'd just gotten it on the 30th) and needed to reapply for it. I did just that, but haven't heard anything back yet. Boo. Sorry if this entry seemed like a middle schooler wrote it, I took some melatonin and I think it kicked in.

7 comments:

Christina said...

I totally failed at 365. One picture, 1 January. Oops... maybe I should start tomorrow and actually do it.

And I love Osprey bags :) My pro discount expired on the 31st too... had it for maybe a few days. Sad! I wonder why they did that...?

elizabeth said...

Stupid Osprey - I thought they just expired yearly, but I just got an email from them saying they're no longer doing the pro deal for PC volunteers! I wish I'd ordered a bag like two days sooner! I have no idea what to do now, I can get a discount on Deuter packs but they fit me horribly, maybe I'll go try on some NorthFace ones :( I feel like a bitch going into my little local place trying their packs on knowing I'm not going to buy from them.

Tracy said...

Have you tried Eagle Creek packs? I have one I can vouch for. PC has a discount for their website according to the PC wiki page. I wonder why Osprey stopped doing the pro deal? They could have at least warned you, considering they had given you the discount code only days earlier. Boo.

elizabeth said...

I ended up finding the Osprey on backcountry.com which does PC discounts and is very nice about it! It wasn't the price it would have been with the Osprey deal, but it was pretty good :)

Christina said...

awww! lame, Osprey, very lame.

John Emami said...

hi there! i am a current PCV in Uganda and came across your blog. look forward to having you out here! (you actually will probably be in Lweza not Kampala for the first few weeks but no need to be technical). if you have any questions let me know...

John
http://www.youtube.com/utlnghrn

elizabeth said...

Thanks John :) Either way I'm excited about getting there! I just got my staging information this morning so my head is SWIMMING with everything I need to get done before I'm allowed on the plane, I'll see you in a few weeks!