Thursday, April 21, 2011

PCV!!!

Today I totally took an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, and some other stuff that I forget. But I'm legit now and it feels so much better than I could have imagined. I'm so proud of myself for doing this... I was sitting there the whole time listening to the ambassador and our country director and a couple of my fellow volunteers speak about what Peace Corps means, its history, and the impact it will have on our lives. I was trying to think back through my application process and remember what it felt like when I first filled out the application, when it was kind of just a castle in the sky, and the fact that I did it. I put aside my life, said goodbye, got on a plane and moved across the world. Damn. I have a million things to pack up and forty three other people to celebrate with tonight before we say our goodbyes and move off on our own tomorrow. As much as a pain in the ass as it was today, I'm glad that I mapped out my first five weeks at site and made a quasi-calendar of things to accomplish, and that we get assignments to complete such as "greet five people and let them know what you'll be doing in their community for two years."

I ate so many canapes at the swearing in. I'm stuffed, but the chicken nuggets and garlic mayo were to *die* for.

1 comment:

Tango said...

I Love hearing about the food you eat! It always sounds delicious. I am so proud of you Liz, and so proud to say that I'm friends with such a cool person <3 Nadia is proud too, she just told me.