Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A year in

Life on the equator is still trucking along. This should be some poignant seminal entry about how changed and amazing my life is, but the truth is that my "normal" now is more mundane than not, and it would be disingenuous to tout my life as more than what it is. Basically it’s hot as all get out and my feet are filthy. Most days I try not to make too many faux pas. Some students have shown up but there’s not teaching going on yet. I laugh a little to myself when the other tutors talk about needing to make a timetable for classes so the students know we’re serious. Hmm.


I spent last weekend shuttling back and forth around Northern Uganda. I had gone to Iceme to stay with Jacque a night before heading to Gulu, but got a call from my principal that our staff meeting was scheduled for the next morning (after having been put off for two weeks and no one knew anything about a new time for it) so I jetted back to Boroboro to attend the meeting and then zipped back up to Gulu to celebrate the close of our first year in Uganda. We layed by the pool, ate lots of Ethiopian food, got super dirty on transport to Stevie's house, and drank "non-alcoholic celebration drink". <3 magical.


There are screens on my bedroom windows now, as it is too stiflingly hot to close them at night, but I’m still freaked out about malaria and little hands reaching in to take my shit. Not that screens offer much protection against the latter but at least I’d wake up and be able to scream something (or lay there in a terrified silence…)


Not much else, I’m just trying to be better about writing consistently. Xoxo.

2 comments:

Tija Leigh said...

Congratulations on your year-iversary! So happy for you! It's amazing to look back on where we were, both physically and emotionally, a year ago when we "met" through the blogosphere. All the things we've been through in our respective countries since then... pretty outrageous. Wishing you the best in this achievement and in the year ahead!

Anonymous said...

My name's Rosie Borchert and I'm part of AND Productions Web Development team. We're working on a networking site where we'd highlight various individuals across the globe who have amazing stories of volunteer work/daily life/hard work through photos, blogs, and video. We'd love to speak with you further about being a correspondent for us. I hops all is well and I look forward to hearing from you.

-Rosie Borchert
rborchert@nashkotyol.ru